Sunday, July 6, 2008

Waco Water


For those of you who live in Waco, I'm sure the mere title of this post makes your blood start boiling. We could actually start an entirely new blog titled "Sucky Waco Water" and it would probably acquire more readers that the Waco Tribune Herald online.

As much as I want to go there and address the health and safety concerns that plague Waco's water system, instead I'd rather talk about how cute my kids were swimming in it.

The Beelers haven't seen much of the boat this summer for a variety of reasons, and Cody was all but ready to sell it because our kids were so apathetic about the very mention of "going to the lake." But when push came to shove, we drug the kids out to Lake Waco, and would you believe they actually had f-u-n?

Here's a bit of Beeler Boat History for you: I am what you call a "boat accessory." I don't ski, swim, tube, wake board, etc. I ride in the boat and soak up sun. Occasionally, I will sprinkle myself with water if I get a little too hot or re-apply sunscreen to those who need it, but pretty much my main "job" on board is to work on my tan. And hold the wiggly child, Emerie. Cody is the boat chauffeur. Landrie is the boat snob....for her, the boat is always too hot, too windy, too wet, too loud, etc. She is a "boat accessory" in training. Kellie-Laine is the boat-doer. She tubes, skis, wake boards, knee boards, and has tried wake surfing. She does it all and is good at it all.

Then there's Emerie. (Keep in mind that Landrie has yet to fully submerge herself in the water....even though we've had the boat for almost three years.) But yesterday we gave Emerie the chance to get acclimated to the murky Waco water and here's what she did: (sorry for the poor video quality...it was taken with my cell phone.)


We could not keep her out of the water. She really didn't care if anyone was around to hold her....she was content to flip herself on her back and kick, kick, kick. She then spent the next few hours finding ways to get off the boat and into the water. Or eating Doritos.

Cody found a rope swing attached to the bridge off of Lake Shore drive and the kids had a blast climbing up the concrete infrastructure that holds up the bridge....then jumping off. I had numerous heart attacks, and I prayed a thousand thankful prayers that I don't have boys. Take a look here at the adventure:

Even dear ol' daddy attempted to scale the rope and jump off, which was comical for many reasons which I won't go into here out of respect for the love of my life. Let's just say Cody is now stuck with the name, "Grandpa Bootie." Enough said.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's so good to know that I'm not the only 'boat accessory' in the world!!! ;) Looks like you guys had fun though.....great family time!!

Dona said...

How fun! I am glad you are raising another "boat-doer". We have only owned a boat for a short period of time early in our marriage. Once it was sank (by Mikes best friend) it was never replaced. Sounds like your family had a great weekend! Missed you Mon.

Rose said...

Wow! If I had known that you had a boat, I would have become your friend long ago! Just kidding!

How fun! Looks like you have another doer on your hands!

The Garners said...

This is hilarious! I'm going to have to get over my fear of having the kids within 2 miles of a boat/lake and let them have some fun--looks like y'all had a great time!

Heather said...

Fun day on the lake..Brooks was watching the video of Landrie kicking her feet and we were both cracking up. So cute!! We are in the process of looking for a boat, but just aren't sure how much use we'd get out of it with little ones??

Nicki W. said...

eh, em! if you ever need some other boat buddies, do remember the wilson's. we will entertain you as the accesory. we do it all ski, tube, barefoot, whatever you like! and we like to go real fast and get tossed about--everyone enjoys a wilson on a tube! plllllease pllllease invite us ;);)

Five Musgraves at Ten Oaks said...

I love it! I have so many fond memories on Lake Waco! My dad let me take our boat to Baylor my last 2 years, and I had many friends show up at my door-haha! We have seriously thought of getting a boat again, but haven't yet made the plunge! I'll continue the trend on this thread and just say if you ever need someone to go . . . . :)

Anonymous said...

Immediately when I read your title "Waco Water," I cringed --- and I haven't lived in Waco in 10 years (the memory of it is still lingering!) Anyway, my sister (Shannon Durand) told me to check out your blog, so I hopped on over here to get some inspiration from a fellow SAHM.