Thursday, December 4, 2008

Well, hello there!

I am going to ramble here because I realize it's been forever since I've posted. I was seriously even tempted to just close up shop until after Christmas, but the thought of losing all of you precious readers drove me to post!


My life can be described in two little words: controlled chaos. Anyone know what I'm talking about? There has been so much activity lately....things that really are too boring to mention here. On Sunday, as I was planning my week ahead, I realized that every single night of the week was booked--which meant that I would not be cooking dinner, which meant we would not be eating together as a family. In my book, that's tragic.

I may not be great at most things, but I do get a little possessive about family meal time. I don't really even like to cook, and sometimes the burden of coming up with a menu for Picky #1, Picky #2, and Picky #3 is too much! However, I value the way a home cooked meal feels.....around the dinner table; together as a family.

Please don't misunderstand, even while we're eating--it is still controlled chaos. The two little ones crawling under the table, the oldest hurriedly eating so she can resume checking her email, me claiming a small victory for each morsel of food I get into Emerie's mouth, Cody trying to hold conversation with anyone who is paying attention. Oh, yeah. It's pure insanity.

But you know what? It's a memory. I don't really remember too many meals 'round the dinner table from my childhood. Both my parents worked outside of the home, which kept them super busy. But the times I do remember eating together as a family (even the times I hated what we were eating) are cherished memories.

I was sharing my frustration with my wise mommy friends, and most agreed that I needed to give myself a break. My expectations needed to be lowered, they said. And, I agree. CanI admit to you that when order food at a drive through, I get a little bit embarrassed at who might recognize my car? Isn't that insane?

I guess I feel like a failure when I can't provide a home-cooked meal for my family. Partly it's about nutrition, but mainly it's about the tradition of the meal. I think I'm justified to want to protect that, but I also think I'm a little too consumed by it. A frozen pizza and macaroni shouldn't feel like failure. Driving through Bush's Chicken shouldn't require a trench coat and sunglasses.

Any psycho therapists out there willing to diagnose me? In the meantime, if any of you have any great weeknight meals, could you leave the recipe in my comments section?

Until next time........

11 comments:

autumnesf said...

We are pretty wrapped up in the "at the table" meals also. But I don't blink at where it comes froms!! LOL!

Do you use a crockpot at all? It sure saves my sanity sometimes to be able to throw something in there and walk away until dinner.

Unknown said...

Ok, I get your comments. I count all the transfatty acids found in every fast food restaurant, which makes it nauseating. I have fallen in love with Super Suppers. Brooks is my picky one, but there are things there he will eat. They have everything from creamy to good country cooking to plain jane. I do the option where I go and make it there without having any cleanup. It is great. I leave the dirty dishes out, and they take care of it. There are Grab and Go options or call in and pre-order options. It is my new favorite place. I spend from an hour to 2 every week, and then when I want to cook it, I just pop it straight into the oven. It even lets you know how to vary cooking times if frozen. Check out their website. They change it every month. It has changed my "mommyhood" life! (:

Kesleigh Castle said...

I'm all about the family dinner too. We eat around the table together, even if it's just big baked potatoes. We had dinner as a family every night growing up and I too remember the memories. I agree with Autumn. It's all about the crock pot. That's about the only way I can do it and make it happen. Hang in there, my talented friend. You're doing a great job.

Ask Spraytopia said...

I agree with Autumn- the crock pot is the way to go for those busy weeks. I also like to cook up extra food when I am making, and freeze it for baseball season. Otherwise, we would never even sniff a home-cooked meal. You are a great, nay, wonderful mom for caring so much!

Rose said...

So glad to see you back!

This too shall pass. It's all the advice I've got, and I tell myself that every night around 4am.

Kimberly said...

Do you have the Southern Living Slow Cooker book? It's wonderful!! I've made numerous of their recipes and every single one is gobbled up by our family. It's a must have and will save you lots of guilty feelings.

Let me know if you want to look at my book, borrow some recipes or if you want to purchase one- my sister sells SLAH.

gwsas4 said...

Welcome back! I wish you wouldn't feel so pressured to keep up consistently because we love hearing what you have to say - even if it's occassional - & don't want blogging to become a burden on you!

I have Picky #1 & #2 myself & it makes meal time so discouraging! I have had to give myself a break on making anything more than simple meals around here or they won't eat it (and remind myself that it's probably just for a season). For some reason, a plate of spaghetti seems like an easy cop out to me, but it's not! Especially when they will eat it! So, simple is what I've had to relegate myself to & let myself know that it's ok that for this season I am not making wonderful gormet meals (because of the time & pickiness factor). I've heard Super Suppers is awesome. I've almost checked it out a couple of times. :)

My question for you is, what do you do when they won't eat a meal that you serve? Do you make them something else or do they go without food until the next meal? I haven't figured out what to do about that.

Kate said...

Not super healthy, but oh-so-yummy and oh-so-easy.

Homemade Mac and Cheese

1/2 lb macaroni noodles, cooked

1 can cream of mush or cream of broccoli, or cheddar cheese soup

1 lb colby jack cheese, shredded (use colby jack-this is key)

Milk

Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix soup and cheese in with noodles. Add milk until mixture is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put mixture into casserole dish, bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until bubbling. You can put a mixture of breadcrumbs and butter on top for a crust.

BTW--we had family dinner around the table EVERY NIGHT growing up. My dad is an OBGYN and so we had those dinners at interesting times and sometimes in hospital cafeterias but all together, all the time. It's not a bad thing to be protective of that--it keeps families together and kids on the right track.

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Just came by for a visit while "surfing" the blogosphere. Nice blog you have. Go easy on yourself with the dinner thing. I mean, don't beat yourself up. And not to freak you out or anything, but as a mom of 2 teens (15 and, gasp 18!) I have to say the whole sit-down-to-dinner-thing just gets harder and harder. So I don't have any words of wisdom about cooking/planning (not my strength). I'll just say, if you have to do drive through, make it a special time somehow.

My two cents for the day! Stop by for a visit sometime. Blessings!

Dona said...

Mac and cheese with frozen pizza. That is a home cooked meal!! As I already told you, You inspire me! I love being inspired by my friends!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang! Sorry I haven't stopped by lately, but your recent post says it all: controlled (except mine, not so much, CHAOS!!!
I feel so guilty when I don't cook, too, but the truth of it is, I really can't do it, work, and still be sane. I decided to tell Ryan just the other day that he can either have a meal or a clean house. He chooses. I tend to buy the rotiserre chickens A LOT from Walmart or Albertson's. I think they're a great deal, and it makes life a little easier (and it just seems healthier than McD's). My biggest challenge is getting GOOD and HEALTHY food to the table, but here is what I've found. I know 2 veggies that my kids will eat (a certain way, of course), and right now,I focus on those as our veggie. One is spinach with ranch dressing. Yes, raw spinach. Somehow, they love it! Then, I cook broccolli with chopped garlic and olive oil with a squeeze of lemon. So super easy, and they eat it!
Here is a not-so-perfectly-healthy recipe from Paula Deen that everyone in my family loves. It's a miracle!
Courtesy of Paula Deen, my hero (hee,hee)
Everyone LOVES this: Ryan, Elle, my sistas, etc. I'm not kidding. I, however, am oh so tired of it. It is very easy. I was making it at least once a week because of that reason. I like to eat it on french bread, but it's supposed to be a stand alone recipe.
Hot Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed (about 2 breasts)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional-I use them if I have them, which is usually NEVER
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2/3 cup crushed potato chips
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with
vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl combine everything except potato chips.
Put in baking dish, then spread crushed chips on top.
Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Miss you, girl! Wish I was organized enough to order cards from you, but I know I won't get them addressed and mailed in time. Next year, for sure!
Jen Ross
rossje@sbcglobal.net