Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Force to Reckon With: Mommy Bloggers


Many people tell me that I write good...er, I mean well. It is a compliment that I receive graciously because I was sort of pre-wired for writing greatness. My dad was the editor of our hometown newspaper for many years, and my mom was a teacher. I was an English/Communications major at A&M, and in high school I was a state finalist in LD Debate and Informative Speaking. I'm a firm believer that if one can speak well...one can write well, and vice versa. I also believe that all bloggers are, by virtue of the hobby, gifted at writing. Think about it....why would a terrible writer want to start blogging? In the same vein, why would I, being at a first grade math level, start an accounting business or become a math tutor? Blogging and good writing go hand in hand, and most of the blogs I read are fantastic.


However, there is a new group of bloggers which the media has termed "Mommy Bloggers." They are a powerful group of women. They are funny, witty, painfully honest, and most of all, they are FAMOUS. Now you may wonder aren't we all mommy bloggers? And the general answer is yes, but the real answer is that the pioneers of mommy blogging are nowhere in our league. They earn money from their blogs. Yes, you heard me correctly. Advertisers pay them for space on their blogs. (Big advertisers like Home Depot, BMW, Revlon, etc.) They also receive awards, media interviews, host speaking engagements, and have a cult-like following.



One blog that I read is written by a gal named Heather Armstrong, (http://www.dooce.com/). She, in the blogosphere, wins the popularity contest having just won the "oscar" of awards at the recent 2008 Bloggie Awards (she won Best American Blog, Lifetime Achievement, and Blog of the Year). Heather has been featured on The Today Show, NY Times, MSNBC, and other high-ranking media. Her writing is painfully funny and sometimes too honest for me, but I love her wit, sarcasm and her periodic letters to her four year old daughter, Leta. Although Heather doesn't openly admit what her yearly earnings are from her blog, media speculates she averages about $40,ooo a year from advertisers. Her husband, Jon, actually quit his job to become her business manager. Heather is a full-time blogger.


It is estimated that Heather's blog averages 40 million hits a month....did you read that correctly? 40 miiiilllliiioooon hits. (And to think I get all excited when my blog shows 5 or more comments! Loser.) Heather's blog also has huge consumer influence. For example, she featured a hand-made purse by a local struggling artist, and in less than a week the now-not-so-struggling artist completely sold her entire inventory. That's pretty cool.


I thought you might be interested to know some other mommy bloggers who receive this kind of popularity, but let me warn you.....as you know in the blogging world.....one blog will lead to another, will lead to another, will lead to another, will lead to another. I spent close to 3 hours last night reading blog after blog of funny mommy humor. So pace yourself, and stop every now and then to do some sit ups or something.


Top Mommy Blogs:














So in all this hype about us mommy bloggers....I wanted to ask: why do you blog? For me, it's a creative outlet. And a chance, or rather an attempt, at humor. I blog because I like the diarist approach to motherhood. I blog because I can't keep up with a scrapbook. I blog because I'm an extrovert and I love getting comments. Finally, I blog because I like the connection with other gals.
So why do you do it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind mention!

Anonymous said...

Angela,
Seriously, we have some sort of neighbor ESP. I JUST, I mean JUST found Dooce yesterday through a photographer's blog that Jamie visits (www.tarawhitney.com). Are we crazy? I think she (Dooce) is hilarious but sort of feel like there is no way I can link her blog on my site with sweet Angie Smith and all the other great Christians on there. ;)
Anyway, I want to make boo-coos of money just by blogging, but that ain't gonna happen. :)
BUT to answer your question, here goes.
I started blogging because of you (aw, sentimental tear). I wanted a way to share and document my digital scrapbook pages. If you look at my blog you'll see less than 10 pages of scrapbook, so obviously that isn't why I blog now. I guess it is an outlet, a way to get my scattered-messed up-storm-in-my-brain-sort of creative thoughts out there. I don't necessarily think I'm a great writer. Yes, I am an English teacher, but that doesn't mean nothin' (I did that double negative on purpose, freaks!).
I just like to write. Sometimes I laugh at myself because as I drive or even in the middle of teaching I think thoughts in my head like a constructed story (think Stranger than Fiction movie). Anyway, I'm a freak. I hate it. I just told Ryan last night that I wasn't creative. I don't mean that to sound conceited because if you know me, you know that I'm far from it. I actually get depressed looking at everyone else's creativity out there and can't even begin to compete. BUT I know that I think differently, so I call it "creative" to make me feel better. So, what I meant by "hate being creative" is that I hate feeling like my brain is going to explode. So there, I think I just wrote a new post on my blog. :) Sorry for the length.
Jen Ross
www.jennyfromtheblock.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

WOW. I mean WOW! Thanks so much. You are on my list too:)

Summer said...

Keep it up mommy blogger.