Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Zig, Then Zag

I'm thinking of re-naming my blog to: Adventures of a Bi-Polar Supermom. What do you think? (And please don't send me email or post comments about my insensitivity to those with actual bi-polar disorder. I'm highly sensitive.....so sensitive, in fact, that I think I might very well be bi-polar.)


So after my recent post about the "peacefulness in my spirit about being a mom," I have now zagged into a mommy funk. Isn't that the way it always goes, especially for us women? Just when we think we're coasting along in one particular mood....we zig, then zag in a total opposite direction. No wonder men can't figure us out! So back to this funk.....keeping it real for ya, folks. There are days I wake up and already have a bad attitude about catering to the demands of others. Since these demands start before I'm even out of bed, it's hard to wake up with abundant patience and radiant positivity. Sometimes I just don't want to. Period.


Today was one of those days, and I knew it the night before. I took a little extra time this morning to pray for a smooth day, but gosh darnit, I kept falling asleep mid prayer. I am a total loser. Part of it was that I had nothing pressing to do, which meant most of my day would be spent making things up to do (i.e. entertaining the girls) which requires 1. creativity and 2. energy. Of which I possess neither. Another part was that I was coming off of a low-back injury from my efforts to feed the homeless. (Okay, so that was a total lie. I wish I had been feeding the homeless or running a marathon or simply picking up a heavy child. Nope. I injured my back spray tanning. Can you say l-o-s-e-r?) The final nail in the coffin of mommy funky-ness was that yesterday I opened up "Beeler Daycare" at my home to host all of my Bible study friends' kiddos. Thirteen kids were in my home for three hours, and I couldn't spend another day cooped up at home. I was actually going to have to go somewhere.


After picking up Landrie at noon from school, Emerie decided she wouldn't eat and didn't want to nap. Landrie decided that she would talk non-stop while stopping in between sentences to ask, "Did you hear that, Mom?" or "Are you listening?" with the attitude Veruka Salt. Then, the furniture company called to say that my bedroom furniture that was promised for delivery in two weeks was on a slow boat from China and would actually be more like 6-8 weeks. This alarmed me because I didn't realize that my high-end, brand name, over-priced furniture was being made in China....but there was no turning that boat around now. Husband came home for a quick bite, and left telling me he shouldn't be late tonight (light at the end of the tunnel). Then husband calls back an hour later saying he would, after all, be late (light quickly fading in tunnel). Kellie-Laine went home with a friend, and I stood alone in my aloneness.


The girls and I ran one quick errand to drop off a gift to my friend, who is a pediatric PA. It took everything in me to overcome the urge to let my kids play in the waiting room play area. I probably would have done it, but the receptionists already knew I didn't have an appointment. I also didn't like the way they stared at me when I walked in and announced "Oh, we're just here to visit!" I settled for letting the girls ride the elevator up and then taking the stairs down. It killed about 3 minutes. We then headed to the park, and it was actually kind of nice. To end the painstaking day, I tried a new recipe for shrimp cervache tostadas....and I realized mid-bite that I don't like cold shrimp. It was gross.


Soooooo.....I realize you readers might be saying things like, "Get over yourself" or "Take an anti-depressant and get on with it" or you may even be thumbing through your phone book for the number to CPS. However, let me assure you.....I know there are women out there who are desperate for just one of these moments from my day. Angie Smith, who just lost her baby upon delivery, would give her eye teeth for one day like this with her sweet Audrey Caroline. Who am I to complain? Kelly, from Kelly's Korner, who is dealing with infertility and would desire nothing more than to struggle through a day of motherhood if it meant she would bear her own child. Who am I to complain?


Motherhood (as well as life in general) is really about perspective....and the occasional greener grass. I am well aware that these are fleeting moments, and all too soon I'll turn around and long for my children to be underfoot, talking incessantly, and taking naps in cribs. I know that while I've zigged to this particular place, soon I'll zag to happy-mommy land again and all will be right with the world. But in an effort to keep things real for you readers, I wanted to share with you that today was not that great of a day in SuperMom world. I need you to know, and empathize with me, that being a mom is not all sunshine and roses. Sometimes mommyhood is an endless snotty nose on a toddler who took her diaper off in the crib (again) and tee-teed....or a middle child who is passionately kissing a balloon in questionable dress-up clothes. Mommyhood is a pre-teen daughter who thinks her friend's mom is a million times cooler than you are because friend's-mom buys her stuff at Target. Mommyhood is having all of your children wrinkle their noses and make choking sounds when you set dinner down on the table....mommyhood is kids fighting over the princess Aurora doll that neither knew existed until one child found it.....it is laundry that is never done, toys that are never completely picked up, and tummies that are never too full for fruit snacks or Oreos.


And so I'll go to sleep tonight....thankful for these character-building opportunities....prepared to wake up and do the same song and dance tomorrow. I better start praying now......

6 comments:

gwsas4 said...

Angela, I appreciate your posts. You are so real & that is so refreshing!

Having It All said...

First of all, you are quite an amazing blogger. It sounds like your back is better - I hope so. Ditto, sister. My morning was spent doing some head rocking (you know, like a crazy person) and fake smiling at my children so they wouldn't know how irritated I was at nothing.

(And p.s. it's actually 11:10, I don't know why the time is wrong. Why do I feel like I have to clear that up? :) )

Juli said...

Here's hoping for a MUCH better day today in SuperMomland, Ang. I SO know the feelings you had yesterday. There are MANY times (usually multiple times in each day) that I look at HRH and have to remind myself how long and hard we tried for her and how much I prayed for her and how much we wanted her. And when they're both being clingy and whiny and needy (which is a LOT this week, of course, with me having so much to do with teacher appreciation this week), I have to think that one day, pretty soon, they aren't going to want much to do with me, and I'll be the UNcoolest thing in the world to them, so I try to soak up being the focus of their existence, lol. I keep telling myself that one day I'll miss that (not sure I'm believing myself much this week, though, lol!). And in God's infinite wisdom, don't you know that JUST when you get to where you think you can easily lock yourself in the bathroom (which I actually did yesterday, with two fit-throwing divas standing outside) and never come out (that window looked MIGHTY tempting, but I came out to face the heathens eventually), they do something so stinking cute and sweet that it brings tears to your eyes and you think that you can take ANYTHING they dish out :*)

OK, longest comment EVER. Sorry :X

Rose said...

Sorry about your day! I don't think that we are close to watercolor beach; thats in Destin, right?

Riehl-Girlie-Girl said...

Angela,

Well, your blog has finally sucked me into the world of sharing my thoughts via posts! My little blog (yes, singular) is pretty lame compared to your cute little site. With time, I'll figure out all the tricks to dazzle mine up... hopefully.

Just thought I'd say hey!

KK said...

I have really gained strength from reading your posts these past few days. Your writing is heartfelt, selfless and genuinely so touching

Godspeed