Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday Musings




Today was "inclimate weather" day at my girls' school which means they planned a day at the beginning of the school year specifically for snow, sleet, blizzard, or monsoon and it never came to fruition. Therefore, we were able to take the holiday today...on this glorious, sunny, spring Monday. Other than Bible study, I had no real plans for me and the girls, and usually I get a little nervous when I don't have something specific on the agenda. Usually, having no specific plans means the girls end up watching too much TV, fighting or messing up the house....all of which have the power to send me rummaging through my medicine cabinets for left-over anxiety medication, sleeping pills, or anti-nausea drugs. Any combination will do....




However, today was such a beautiful day that I simply couldn't dwell on the lack of plans. I put Emerie down for a nap and the older girls and I pulled the sleeping bag on to the front lawn to bask in the sun. (Why is the front yard so much more interesting than the back yard? Anyone?) Each of us had a book to read....yes, even Landrie. And for a good two hours we read, re-arranged the sleeping bag for the perfect amount of sun and shade, and took turns checking on the sleeping baby. Landrie took her usual position of offering idle chatter, with no regard to the fact that she had rather un-willing conversationalists. Kellie-Laine, who is my "anti-reader" got so engrossed in her novel that she completed over three hours of reading. This was a first for her.




Emerie joined us later, and we spent the latter part of the day blowing bubbles, eating popsicles, and singing. I had a great new recipe to try for dinner tonight, (which Cody loved) I didn't pout when he called to say he'd be late, and Kellie-Laine helped me clean the kitchen without complaint....then we all sat together and watched some old home videos of the girls from about three years ago.




Does this sound like a scene from Pollyanna? It does to me...only, it really happened. I'm not sure what to make of days like these which come far too seldom. It's such a nice break from the "rush, rush" that I'm usually in, and I'm starting to look forward to the slow pace of summer.




I've also noticed lately a peacefulness in my spirit about my job as a mom. I'm not sure what to attribute it to....I'm used to complaining about everything. Of course, I still have many moments when I complain, but those thoughts are brief and seem to be fewer and farther between. One thing that I can put my finger on is that my commitments have pretty much all wrapped up with school volunteering, choir, Motion youth group, UIL coaching, Bible study, etc. I don't have these external forces chipping away at my personal time or family time. Without these distractions, I'm able to simply be....sorry for sounding so existential, but it's true. I can be with my girls, talk to my husband, play outside, take walks, go for ice cream.....all without being distracted. Truly savoring the moment.




Another thing I can attribute to my recent peaceful spirit is that I've been starting my day with a simple yet powerful prayer: Lord, help me to make this day yours. Let me be a blessing to my kids. Let me take joy in my children. Just uttering these simple words has given me tremendous perspective. I'm not asking to be perfect....I'm not asking to be the world's greatest mom....I'm not asking for abundant patience. I'm asking for something that can be accomplished in me---today. I can be a blessing to my girls. I can find joy in moments with them. I can give this day over to my Savior.




And He, in His awesome creativity, answered my prayer with an inclimate weather day.... full of sunshine.




"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning...
Lamentations 3:23-24"

6 comments:

Having It All said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Having It All said...

After reading most of your blogs, I think you and I think a lot on many things (hope that doesn't scare you!:)). So today I was about to go enjoy the weather with my girls, and thought, "I just want to be in the front yard." It's the extrovert in us that is afraid to miss the action. Don't ya think?

Dona said...

I feel so warm and comfortable after reading that post. I am glad you had a beautiful day with your family. After all, that is what this life is about - FAMILY!

Nicki W. said...

angela,

are ya'll going to continue with a bible study in the summer? i have wanted to go to monday mornin's for so so so long, but never had a chance. i REALLY want to be in a bible study and i saw you were in one, so just thought i would ask :) let me know!

Rose said...

That is so nice! What a great day.

Play Baccarat said...

All about one and so it is infinite