Thursday, August 7, 2008

End of Summer Vacay

Everyone take a deep breath with me....ready? Breathe in-------------------and now exhale. Doesn't that feel refreshing? I am happy to report that we have just returned from our 2ND annual End of Summer Vacation to The Avonne on Lake LBJ. Upon my return, I took a deep breath and realized that I had just had the most relaxing four-day vacation ever.





My gracious sister, Flo, blessed us by keeping Emerie...which was a huge part of the reason I was so relaxed and stress-free on the trip. I was a little sad that Emerie wasn't there to enjoy the fun, but there was too much water around for me to feel comfortable taking her. There are three families that travel with us, and we have 12 kids between us. Factor in three boats, one jet ski, an outdoor pool/hot tub, a house directly on the lake, and a toddler who cannot swim but is hell-bent on forcing you to learn CPR....and you've got one stressed out momma.






I'm pretty sure there is a permanent indentation on my backside from all the sitting I did, but it was so very, very worth it. I took my usual position as a boat accessory and soaked up the sun while the kids tubed and skied and took turns pottying in the water just for the novelty of it. The men were up a the crack of dawn each day for some "alone time" on the water as they wake-surfed and simulated spelling their names with a stream of urine off the boat deck. It's true.....I am married to a 34-year-old high school boy (and just so you know, there was no actual urine involved....just a water hose, a video camera and a very funny visual effect.)







The highlight of our trip had to be the "DJ Angela 80's Rock Ballad Night." We ventured back in time and pulled out some oldies but goodies like Cinderella's "Don't Know What You've Got ('til It's Gone)", Tesla's "Love Song", Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", Prince's "Purple Rain", Bon Jovi's "Never Say Goodbye", etc. The kids thought we were weird, but those songs took me back to my 8th grade trip to see Poison and Tesla in concert with my friend, Juli, in my dad's neon green Volkswagen bus (complete with kitchen sink). Those were the days.....




The trip ended way before I was ready, but it's good to be home. So today I sit and blog here in the real world. Counting down the days until school begins.....making decisions about where I'll serve and volunteer this year......cleaning out closets to make room for school uniforms.....wondering how in the world summer passed right before my eyes.....and laughing at men who think true talent lies in the ability to spell one's name with bodily fluids. Ahhhh, summer.

8 comments:

The Garners said...

Oh, what a great time! Summer did go by too quickly!

Juli said...

How fun!!! What a neat vacation :) I remember that concert, Henrietta served us well ;)

Kylie said...

Sounds like a great trip! Summer is always too fast for me... sigh... but at least the men made the most of it! :)

Kesleigh Castle said...

Cute Pics! It was fun! I woke up this morning missing my lake friends. But, I would definitely not call it the most relaxing 4 vacation days of MY life. Taking along a nonswimming 3 year old did add more stress than last year, but more fun too. I hope that makes sense. It was great!

Flo and Grace said...

Look at stud-muffin Codster, complete with the Aggie shirt and straw hat! : ) Landrie looked like she was action girl.....very un-Landrie! Proud of her!

Having It All said...

What FUN!!! Loved the pics.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the encouraging words about Rick. It will encourage him to read what you wrote. Rick can be quite shocking to those used to extremely traditional (which is ABC), so I am curious to see....

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! I found your comments in our guestbook. Your input is really valuable to us! Those items are now on my "honey to do list" and we will get this done! :) Much appreciated and hope y'all will come back again! More improvements are in the works!