Saturday, August 23, 2008

It Ain't Easy Being This Darn Smart

We pay good money to educate our girls in a private, Christian school. For the most part, we are extremely pleased with the education, environment, safety scissors, and Godly principles present in our school. When Kellie-Laine came home from her first day of Kindergarten, she proudly told us that she knew God was "omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient," and she gave us the definition for each of those attributes. Our socks were knocked off.

Having our socks knocked off is a daily occurrence since we live with three loquacious girls who constantly demand our attention. I've heard my middle girl engage in full-blown conversations with an imaginary friend who apparently likes to interrupt and disagree with her. I've witnessed my youngest eat dog food like candy more times than I can count. I've seen my oldest break school records at track meets, but today...... not only were my socks knocked off, but my hair also fell out.

And in an instant we realized that you can pay all the money in the world for private, Christian schooling.....and still end up with a child who has no common sense.

In a failed attempt to occupy my girls while I made dinner, I asked Kellie-Laine to work with Landrie in her new Kindergarten-level math book. She begrudgingly agreed, and it was peaceful harmony for the first 2.4 minutes.

"Do the connect the dots activity," I suggested. And they went to work.

"Here's how you do it, Landrie. Just connect the dots one through ten and you'll have a picture," Kellie-Laine said, "I'll show you how to do the first one."

I was absentmindedly doing dishes when I heard Kellie-Laine talking to herself out loud, "Wait....this isn't working right, Landrie, just hold on......Mom! This isn't turning out right......"

Then she explains, "Mom, the directions say connect the dots one to fourteen to find the fish, but it didn't work."

I walked over to the table thinking they might need to count by twos or something. And when I looked at the page......I lost my socks and my hair.

Kellie-Laine had drawn a line, quite neatly I must add, connecting dot number one......and number fourteen.

The fish that should have appeared once the dots were connected was no where in sight.

But there was one, neatly drawn line in the corner of the paper.

"Oh, precious girl," I said "we're gonna get you some special tutoring for this okay?" And maybe even a special bus, I thought to myself.

Sigh.

It ain't easy being smart. Not easy at all......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's where loquacious came from! Poor KL - life's hard when your mom is a blogger! You know what they say, paybacks are ----!

Rose said...

THAT is hysterical! It sounds like a client that came to my office at 10:50 for a visit, because she thought her visit was 10 til 11, but it was really 10:00 to 11:00.

So funny! Well, I can attest to the fact that KL is smart, as I was her AWANA leader for one year.

Dona said...

I am laughing out loud! ......

yep, still laughing out loud.

Kylie said...

I'm with Dona- laughing hard out loud until Ronny asked what was so funny. I am laughing harder at your description than I am at poor KL!

Kesleigh Castle said...

I think the real issue is that KL is probably GT. GT kids do things like that all the time. We've actually shown up at HEB to grocery shop and my GTer looked down and said... Oh.. I didn't know I had to wear SHOES! Or asked me if Lake Waco is a lake or river? HUM So, I'll just say that KL is Probably a Gifted learner :)

Ask Spraytopia said...

That is absolutely hilarious. I agree with kesleigh. My GT student is our complete dunce when it comes to logical things, and things that are common sense to the rest of us. Just laugh for now, and know that one day she will probably cure cancer!:)

Regi S. said...

LMAO !! I LOVE this blog and those girls :D
:looking up loquacious:

Emily said...

I seriously laughed out loud. That is a story to break out at her rehearsal dinner some day.

Heather said...

I laughed out loud at this post too!! It's neat to see the difference in raising boys & girls through your blog. Maybe our next little one will be a girl...