Sunday, November 2, 2008

A PMS Rant

I've been in a little funk lately, and I think I know why. PMS. Does anyone else go through this month after month after month? Oh, the docs call it some fancy schmancy name now, like PMDD, or something. They even have a birth control pill with a little "happy component" that supposedly helps you get through the week of funk.

I did try this little pill last fall and let's just say that the side effects were a little too much for me. I wasn't moody......but I was just blah the entire time. This month has proven a little bit more of a deeper funk than usual, and I thought I'd let you in on my PMS-induced ramblings.

Here's how my mind works when I'm in the "funky zone": Saturday I received my Digital Scrapbooking magazine in the mail, which I typically devour in 10 minutes. After reading the magazine, I found myself really upset that there were so many new tips and techniques listed that I had no idea about. This made me think about how little I know about digital designing, which made me wonder why many of my friends consider me really knowledgeable in this area, which made me think that maybe I've deceived my friends, which made me question why I had any friends at all. See? Funky crazy.

My mind just hasn't been itself lately. I am tired of my lack of discipline in the exercise arena, but I refuse to put my kids in the gym childcare. I feel like I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of none. I'm sad that many of my days are spent "just getting by" and that I'm not embracing all that motherhood has to offer me (or all that I have to offer my kids). I'm upset that my husband is at a national meeting for four days, and I have no idea where he is (not because he didn't tell me but because I didn't ask...again, the PMS). And then there's this blog......

Don't get me wrong, I really love writing when I get a chance. But blogging upsets me right now, too. Today it feels like a popularity contest.....or a "pretty blog" contest. Oh, I love all the ones I read faithfully and, oftentimes, feel more attached to these people than I really should. But what irks me are the bloggers who post on subjects like: Give Me Your Opinion If Artificial Greenery In Your House Is Good Or Bad and that post will generate 68 comments. Really. Really? (And for the record I DO have a few artificial plants here and there.....)

And did I mention that my almost-teenage daughter is giving me attitude? I have lost all desire to be "cool mom" (and lost that title years ago), but I am by no means a fuddy-duddy. So why does she act embarrassed at the sight of me or roll her eyes when I'm trying to tell a funny story? It hurts my feelings. And my feelings want to pinch her little head off.

Finally, I'm wondering about a phenomena that continues to occur in my house. Whenever I sit at the computer, both of my little girls think that is the signal for "ask mommy for many, many things in a row".....I need juice (or snack, or movie, or whatever else comes to their little minds), or Landrie will talk incessantly......incessantly, people. Or she will ask me to watch her color....because I simply have nothing better to do, and I'm sitting at the computer which is the universal sign for "completely bored and needs something to do". Whatever the request is.....it only occurs when I'm at the computer. The kids have no use for me otherwise.

Do you feel like you're on a roller coaster? More importantly, are you screaming to get off? Me, too. If any of you have tips or tricks for dealing with PMS....PMDD....crazy......my family sure would appreciate it.

12 comments:

Kesleigh Castle said...

You're not alone, friend. Oh dear, Chad could tell you some stories about my PMS. Last month he actually asked me after a cry fit.. is this day 24? I'm not sure a cure, but we can always hope for one.

Rose said...

I have no tips, although I can't say that I have been "there" in almost two years. I'm sure I'll have something to say about it when my time comes again.

Colin grabs my shirt and mutters incessantly when I sit down at the computer, and tries to drag me to the floor. Unfortunately, if he's up, usually I'm just on to look up a phone number or check something to help me get through the day. He's not having it.

Having It All said...

Oh, Angela, if I could help, I would. I'm going to keep checking your comments and see if I can get any advice. My poor husband.

Unknown said...

Do what you're doing...talk about it with other wives and moms that can completely relate, spend time with uplifting friends, call Flo, and know that sunshine is on its' way!!!

autumnesf said...

Wish I could help! I'm blessed not to have PMS.

Did I just put my life at risk for saying so?

Keep ranting friend! It can only help.

Five Musgraves at Ten Oaks said...

I really think our answer is in the Bible . . . what I mean is using Scripture to re-direct our mind on to whatever the Lord would have us think upon. Since the time of the "curse" where Eve was tempted by Satan himself, I think that PMS goes along with all of the pain in childbirth, ETC.... It is simply in the cards for us, yet the Lord will give us a way out when we can manage to "guard our heart and mind in Christ Jesus" and "count it all joy . . . when we encounter various trials . . . for the testing of our faith produces endurance . . . . " You may be saying, "Blah, blah, blah," but I have just seen so many things a mental, spiritual battle that I, personally, have often failed and not risen to the task! Since our minds include our will and spiritual work is an act of the will, then we have to guard against allowing our emotions to have free reign because they are the shallowest part of us, hormones included! I was not going to post, but the Lord brought me back to this! Something fun might be to share verses that come to our aid that would be good to memorize or at the very least, have at our fingertips on a card or written in on the blank pages at the back of the Bible. Even a well-known verse like Prov. 3:5-6 speaks to the flesh, ". . . and lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." I think OUR understanding refers to the things of the flesh and since we know that as a believer we battle the flesh, Satan, and the things of this world, then shades of this PMS thing have no doubt been around since the "fall". Just as we let the presence of Jesus guide us, the promises of Jesus ought to gladden us, and the power of Jesus will guard us! (Sorry this is so long!)

Anonymous said...

Angela,

You don't know me but I discovered your blog through another and have really enjoyed reading it. I live in Frisco but grew up in Temple. I suffered from what I thought was severe PMS recently but realized it was my body's "reaction" to Allegra. I took it for allergies for several months and just didn't feel like myself. Especially during the weeks I had PMS. I did a little research and realized there are others out there who felt the same. I switched allergy medication and was myself within the week. I'm not sure if you're taking any medications but thought I would pass this info along. I have no idea how Allegra can make a person crazy but this happened to me. Moral of the story: you may be taking something that doesn't agree with you. It also may just be life. :>) Either way, I hope you feel more like yourself again soon.

Lane

Stephanie said...

Hi Angela! I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in your 'funk'!! My friends and I talk about it all the time....especially the part about feeling like your just getting by on some days. That feeling is so annoying to me.....but some days I just don't have the energy to be the Super Wife, Super Mom, Super Employee, Super Friend, Super EVERYTHING!! I think we all sometimes put too much pressure on ourselves to be 110% good at everything we do.

I'm sure you are doing a MUCH better job than you are giving yourself credit for. ; )

And I don't even want to think about when Scotlyn thinks I'm not 'cool'. It will hurt my feelings too.

Hang in there!!

Kylie said...

Sometimes a rant alone will help me feel better! So rant away, my friend! :)
I feel the funk, the "roller coaster" you speak of. For me, I just can't seem to get a handle on anything. I feel exhausted constantly and can't keep up with any of the many things I'm attempting.
I just want to sleep... :)
I do hope that you are feeling better soon. (I get weird when Ronny's away, too) and maybe spending some time in the sunshine, letting the kids play, could help the mood. call me if you have a spare morning! :)

Kate said...

No advice, unfortunately (wouldn't we be rich if we discovered the cure) but just so you know, your blog is quite popular in my book. I check back here frequently because I love reading it so much. Hang in there and keep ranting!

Jamie said...

You are not alone! I go thru this every month too. I think ranting sometimes is the best medicine. Just knowing you are not alone can help.

ShannonRoxanne said...

My girls do the same thing when I sit down at the computer! It's like a universal symbol that only children know, meaning "mommy needs someone to ask her a million questions right NOW".......
As for the PMS rant, well we all have to get at least one in each month!