Sunday, December 2, 2007

Conversations with a Four Year Old

CONVERSATIONS WITH A FOUR YEAR OLD~
(aka: "why I so desperately need more adult interaction")
(aka "why I need a nanny")

Landrie: "Mommy, watch this!" (she hops on one foot)

Me: "OOoh, that's good, Landrie!" ( with full enthusiasm)

Landrie: "Watch this!" (she hops on other foot)

Me: "Wow! Cool!" (still enthusiastic)

Landrie: "Now watch this!" (she bends over backwards across the chair)

Me: "Good, Landrie." ( a little less enthusiastic)

Landrie: "Hey, watch this!" (more bending over the chair)

Me: "Uh huh, good job."

Landrie: "Look at this!" (she makes a fish face)

Me: "Ummmm...." (completely distracted)

Landrie: "Hey, look at this!" (she makes a circle with her fingers)

Me: "Okay, Landrie...." (approaching annoyance)

Landrie: "See this, Mommy?" (she draws the letter "L" in the air)

Me: (Silence.)

Landrie: "Did you see that, Mom? Did you?"

Me: "Yes, Landrie."

Landrie: "Watch me spell my whole name now."

Me: (with irritation) "Lan, Mommy's busy working on the computer."

Landrie: "Why?"

Me: "Because I've got to send some email to people."

Landrie: "What people?"

Me: (with more irritation) "Just some people, Landrie."

Landrie: "Where do they live?"

Me: "All over."

Landrie: "All over the whole world?"

Me: "Yes...Lan, no more questions okay?"

Landrie: "Okay, mommy."

(Pause. Silence. Pause.)

(More pause. More silence. More pause.)

Landrie: "Um, Mommy?"

Me: "Yes, Landrie."

Landrie: "Watch this, Mommy!"


********
I'm sure I'll look back and appreciate this one day. But not today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that could so easily be me and Madge talking! She even talks in her sleep! The pediatrician said it's no wonder Lucy talks so well at her age. :)

Dona said...

I am in total agreement!! Want to have lunch during MDO? or meet where the kids could play?