Friday, February 15, 2008

Being Busy Sucks.

Sorry for being so blatant. But being busy does suck (that's as close to a curse word as I get). The past two weeks have been extremely busy with random-type activities, and I'm not getting much sleep which makes me really cranky. The first reason for my busy-ness is this:





I hosted a Trends Between Friends sale at my house (a.k.a Boutique Beeler) this week. This really is a good idea, so I'm sharing it with you in case you ever decide to do it.

It started with a friend of mine who switched careers and was left with a closet full of clothing she could no longer wear. She asked me if I wanted to look through her clothes and if I had any friends who might want to do the same. She priced a ton of clothes, I emailed a few friends, and Boutique Beeler was born! My friend made about $600 dollars, and my girlfriends and I purchased some high-end clothing for a pretty reasonable price.

If it works, keep doing it, right? I hosted Boutiqe Beeler for a second time this week, but on a larger scale. I enlisted 4 of my sharp-dressed friends to give me the overflow from their closets, and held a two-day shopping event. We emailed the above invitation to many, many people, had appetizers, shopping hours, a preview party--the whole shebang! And so for two days I was pretty much tied to my house with two very bored little girls who could care less about keeping the house straight, not touching the items for sale, and the presence of strangers strolling about our house. I'll be honest and say that the first Boutique Beeler was waaaaay more successful than the second time around. Still, I think with the right clothing, right date, and right price....this is a really fun thing to do. I just need to make sure my kids are, like, in college before I do this again.

So on top of the sales event of the year, I got blind-sided by Valentine's Day. This tends to happen year after year after year. I suck at Valentine's Day. Really, I do. Landrie's teacher gave us an "at home" project to make our own Valentine's box for the school valentine exchange. She suggested that we do this project with our child because the kids really enjoy the crafty-ness of the project. She then suggested that we be creative with this project. I'm sorry, but in my world being creative with my child is akin to giving myself a hair cut and letting my kids hold the scissors. It's ugly, messy, and a big ol'disaster waiting to happen. So late one night, I made the box myself and left a few details for Landrie to complete. Okay, let me be honest here....I completed the whole darn box minus the stickers. I let Landrie stick on the stickers. Big whoop. Yep, that's what I did because first of all, SuperMom doesn't know how to let others have much, if any, control of anything. Secondly, I had an idea in mind for what the box should look like, and my idea didn't have anything to do with letting a four year old hold glue or scissors.

Things got even better when I asked Kellie-Laine to give left over candy as a Valentine's gift to her friends....a day late. Candy left over from Boutique Beeler. (I am soooo putting you moms to shame, aren't I? Just stop by this blog any time you want to get that daily dose of "At least I'm a better mom than her!")

As for my husband...well, I think you pretty much know where this is going. He, too, got the raw end of the deal. I meant to talk to him all week about not doing anything for V-Day for each other because, well, it just was too much for me to think about. Like I said, I meant to talk to him, but I forgot. So he, of course, does the awesome husband-thing and surprises me with a photo session with my favorite photographer! What did I have for him? Zero. Nada. Zilch. (Don't try to be like me, people. I'm at a level you can't even possibly attain.) I think I managed to salvage the day by ordering a Baskin Robbin's ice cream cake for him, but it was a futile attempt to save a week that was already spriraling towards hell. I was too busy. Too preoccupied. Too distracted. And to be honest, too selfish.

Finally, my eldest daughter had been complaining of a sore throat and running fever off and on. The doctor's appointment on Thursday proved inconclusive...no strep, no flu. So off to school she went on Friday so that she wouldn't miss the Valentine's skate party. Basketball tournament that evening (the third game of the week).....and then we got a call from the doctor's office. You guessed it. Strep test culture came back positive. After we had infected 116 friends and family.

I vow never to be busy again. (Yeah, right.) Being busy sucks.

1 comment:

Flo and Grace said...

Awwwwww....poor Cody! : ) I think it's time to take him to 7F. We'll keep the kids, just tell us a night!

FF