Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Too Racy? Too Raunchy? Or Just Right.....

I've posted some new TV commercials in two separate posts below (uploaded from YouTube, of course...gosh I love that thing!!). View them first...then let's talk.

I am a mother. I am a consumer. I am also a Christian, and perhaps this very reason alone is what makes these commericals so offensive to me. It is no wonder our kids are confused about sex, sexuality, Christianity, morality, and a host of other issues that haven't come to my mind just yet. We, as Christian parents, tell our kids it's a gift saved for marriage while the world tells them it's for everyone...even cartoons!

I am appalled at the nature....the sexual nature....of these commercials. And I want you, as mothers, as consumers, and as Christians, to be appalled with me.

It has never been harder to raise godly children than today. Conversely, it has never been more important to do so. There are days I feel like I'm doing pretty good at sheltering and protecting their bubble of a world (and, yes, I choose to keep them in the bubble as much as possible). Then there are days when I feel like he world's influence has penetrated my girls' very soul. I know Satan wants us to feel defeated, frustrated, and powerless. But I know a victorious, patient, and mighty God who will fight for me and for my children.

I came across a verse the other day that I had never read before but I now love so much. Exodus 14:14 says, "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Oh, how I love knowing that the Lord is fighting for me, my family, my kids and that His victory has already been determined. I also love how this verse serves as a reminder that I need to be still (read: get out of His way) and let Him do his thing!!! Praise God.

I'll be blogging pretty soon about ways in which to talk to your kids about s-e-x. I happen to have a little experience in this area a since I have a 12 year old. This is the one question I get asked most from my friends....how should I do it? when is the appropriate age? what should I say? I don't have all the answers, but I do have what has worked for our family so far. I'd like to think we've been successful in this area, but only time will tell.

Check back soon for that topic!

4 comments:

Dona said...

I can not believe that these are actual commercials that our children are potentially exposed to. The Levis commercial is way to much!! It upsets me that there are people who do not even know that their children are being exposed to this, because they are so out of touch with what's going on. It is sad that we have came to this point in our society.

gwsas4 said...

It's so great to be able to get advice from parents who have gone before me! Thanks for being open & honest! And I too, am greatly appalled by these commercials. I can't imagine raising my kids without help & grace from Jesus!

gwsas4 said...

I have heard of spanx! Hear they are amazing! Maybe I'll have to check it out! Too bad they can't be a more permanent solution!

Tressa said...

YIKES!!
I had a hard time watching the Levi commercial. In our culture we have become so de-sensitized its UNREAL!
I ask the same question you ask "WHY the sexual nature of these commercials"

Its so hard bringing up girls, (and Im sure it will be hard bringing up boys too- they are only 2 and 10 monthgs old) in this culture. Like you said, its never been harder to raise Godly children than today.

I like this verse “Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.”- Psalm 97:10

Im glad your talking on the topic of sex. I really look forward to hearing your experiences, I am right behind you and would love to learn some wisdom!

My last thought is, its so evident why sex is being exploited by satan. Its one of the most sacred gifts God has given us.