Friday, February 8, 2008

Torch Fuel? That's Nothing.....

Compared to this.

Or this.

Doesn't dog food taste bad?? Or rather...shouldn't it?? According to Emerie's standards (which are obviously pretty low) it doesn't. In fact, it must have a pleasantly pleasing taste, one that kids prefer, because I could not keep the child away from the dogfood. She would fuss at me as though I were taking away a delightful snack from her.

Now you just nevermind the fact that getting the photo of the dogfood consumption was of greater importance than getting it out of her mouth. I don't want to hear one word about it. I did it for the blog, people! For you. Thankfully, we did not have to get the poison control involved.



In other random news, I hosted a small playgroup at my house this morning. Here is a photos of my friend, Amy, and the kids on the trampoline. The weather was amazing, and the little tykes had fun jumping on our no-safety-net trampoline. We like to prepare our kids for the real bumps and bruises of life by letting their little hands and feet get mangled in the springs of the trampoline. It makes them stronger really. I'm sure Kellie-Laine will look back one day and say, "Remember when you and dad let me fall through the springs of the trampoline and my hair and hands would get stuck and pinched and my face would be all dirty and sweaty with tears? But you would tell me to keep jumping, no matter how bad I wanted to stop. Remember those times? I really appreciate that you were teaching me that life is hard and that I should suck it up and keep on going. It has made me who I am today."

I can't wait to hear her say that.



We've also been consumed with this:



Playing on three baskteball teams equals approximately three games a week, two practices a week, $9 in entrance fees, $30 in babysitting fees, and has cost me additional money for my shameless bribing of Kellie-Laine. Bribing is not beneath me. And I think I'd rather use the term "incentivizing" or "motivating."



What led to the bribing was when Kellie-Laine began playing with the select city-league team, she faced many other girls her age who were as good, if not better, than her. Instead of rising to the challenge and playing harder; she played with fear and timidity. Our "big fish in a little pond" became a "tadpole in an ocean" and crumbled. I was not going to have that, so I resorted to shameless bribes, er I mean, incentives. Unfortunately, the gifts of motivation didn't work so well, but you know what did?

1. Me backing off and only yelling positive things during the game. (It also helped that her coach had a little talk with me about not coaching from the stands. Yep, it's true. She said it lovingly, of course. But the coach was right, and now I've resorted to cheerleader-esque yells: you can do it! way to go! woo-hoo! clap-clap, stomp-stomp)

and

2. Kellie-Laine had a couple of great games on her two other teams; ones in which she totally dominated the floor. This gave her an extreme boost of confidence and she began playing full force once again.

Who knew? Who knew Kellie-Laine would rather hear encouragement than receive gifts? Who knew my non-paid position as a sideline coach would be detrimental? Who knew that Emerie would have a fascination with eating all-that-is-inappropriate? Who knew I would raise a child who likes to mime bathroom activities in the sanctuary? Really. You can't make this stuff up, people. It's better than reality TV.

Welcome to the life of a SuperMom...... in all its splendor and glory.

3 comments:

Flo and Grace said...

Perfect picture for the yearbook one day! Love it...love her little mismatched outfit...

Emily said...

What great pictures. That dog food picture cracked me up! I love that you and Amy are friends, she is fantastic. She was in my playgroup up in the Dallas area when she lived up here.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!
Renner used to eat dog food. So funny. I took pictures, too.