Thursday, September 18, 2008

Angela Economics

I will be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about the stock market, Dow average, American economics, or sub prime mortgages. I took one Economics class while at Texas A&M and the only thing I learned was what an "Opportunity-Cost situation" was. And, believe me, I live most of my days in the opportunity-cost dynamic. A perfect example is this: is the opportunity to participate in the Body Shaping class worth the cost of puking afterwards? To which I mentally yell, "Hell no!" and I, once again, thank my lucky stars that I was forced into that Economics class my freshman year.

Back to the main point...... most of my financial information comes from Dave Ramsey, and I often find myself texting Cody to say: Dave just said we need to put 15% into retirement...do we do that? To which Cody will reply: yes, and I could invest a lot more if you'd quit shopping. And thus goes the conversation......

In the past few days I've been reading a lot about these investment banks that are failing due to sub-prime mortgages, and that got me wondering things that my mind has no business wondering about because it will inflict serious injury on my temporal lobe. So here's my silly, mush-brained question about this situation: if sub-prime mortgages are causing so much grief both to consumers and to the lending institutions--why were the loans given in the first place?

If Sally and Bob can't afford the $450,000 house right now....why give them the loan for it? Why don't Sally and Bob wait and save up money? Or better yet, why don't Sally and Bob go for a smaller, less expensive home? I don't get why America is having to bail out people who are in financial crisis because they can no longer afford their massive house payments. I don't get why banks offer crazy financing options to try to "make it work" for the next five years and then start huge balloon payments, only to find that thousands of people cannot afford the higher payment. Really, people, am I missing something here?


Cody and I live in a very modest home--nice, but modest. And while there are many moments when we feel like jumping the gun and buying or building our dream home, we know that the only way we'll do it is when we've saved up enough money to afford it. Not with the bank's crazy financing.....not by using our retirement....not by dipping into the kids' college fund....but just by good ol' earning and saving.


Cody and I both had some pretty significant debt when we first married, and with Dave Ramsey's help and a little discipline, today we've got zero debt. Zippo. Zilch. I hope this doesn't sound boastful, but I am quite proud that we have accomplished a goal that many people will spend their entire lives trying to reach. It's just not the "American way" is it? It's counter-culture to be debt free and live within or below our means....and we love it.

Now I need to let you know that part of the reason we live like this is because Cody's job is 100% commission.....which means that on any given month his paycheck could be $25. Then I would be forced to find a job that pays well.....at night......because I want to stay home with my children. The only job I can think of that meets these two requirements is a job that involves dancing and a pole--and I'm just not going to do that. But I digress......

Listen, I know you don't visit this blog to get financial lectures or economic lessons, so I apologize for the uncharacterisitc subject matter. Actually, I'm just trying to prove that SuperMom has a little depth and can think about things other than filling juice cups, wiping hineys, or upcoming vasectomies. I just want you to know that if any of you are currently struggling with debt, you should really check out Dave Ramsey's website. He has a book and a radio show (check your local listings.....I've ALWAYS wanted to say that!!), and he has literally changed the lives of so many families in America. And if the Democrats do what I think they're going to do if elected (raise taxes) we'll all need to find ways to make our dollar stretch.

10 comments:

Rose said...

Upcoming vasectomy? What?

I did read the rest of your blog, and I ditto all of it. Every bit.

I like your econ's teacher logic. Thats why I went for the big spend at gymboree yesterday. Gymbucks, hello?!

autumnesf said...

When we moved here the banks kept trying to approve us for huge amounts to buy a house. We actually fought them to back off and do a smaller amount. We know what we can afford so why were they trying to shove so much more down our throats????

We also live modestly and invest in retirement, etc. Unfortunately for the first time in 20 years we ended up in debt after this move - and that was with saying no to a big mortgage. It stinks. But we are intimate with Dave Ramseys teachings so it will pull together...if my son will do his part and pay his half of college!!!! HELLO!

Anonymous said...

Angela, I had no idea you were so well-versed in eco!

Know all about the 100% commission - it's feast or famine. But if you're motivated that way, it can be a really great thing. Thankfully, our husbands both are and both have common sense (maybe not so common these days) to be disciplined about saving. Boring, but so worth it!

Juli said...

You are SO much more "up" on economics than I am. I'm sad to say my spending knowledge comes from David paying the bills and then telling me "you have ___________ left" LOL!! I defer to him on deciding if we can make big purchases or not. We're not Dave Ramsey followers, but we have no debt beyond the house and my car. Good points about the mortgages. What are these people thinking?!?!

Ask Spraytopia said...

Amen Sista! I have literally been ranting the same stuff to my captive audience- William- for days! Maybe those of us with commission only for all of these years have actually had a leg up, and just didn't know it.

Anonymous said...

Amen! You have just put in your blog everything that I have been thinking the past few days after watching the news!

We too have followed Dave's philosophy. We live in the same 1800 sq ft house that we bought when we were 20. Our cars were bought with cash and the only credit card we have is American Express used for travel and business expenses. Thanks to Dave, we have been able to save for our dream home and live debt free (except the mortgage). I am pretty sure, with my spending habits, that he saved our marriage years ago. Isn't he the greatest!!!

KarenFarner said...

I completely agree! Joe and I were just talking about that this morning. I can't believe our government is going to bail out these companies! The value of the dollar is going to be far worse than it already is. Why should my tax dollars cover someone else's debt when I work my butt off to pay my own?

Kate said...

I've been a lurker on your blog for quite a while--love it! Great post, couldn't have put it better myself! We love Dave Ramsey--and I also recommend his program to anyone struggling with debt!

Unknown said...

I am so Amening you right now!! New nice things are never worth the heavy burden of debt. Rick and I were shocked when they told us what we could "easily" get a loan for when moving here. This whole bail out from the government is scary, because the consumer is at fault, bu the loaners are no angels either. I am so grateful that Rick and I, by the grace of God, are not being knocked by all the economic issues. Like you, I love to shop, but only within our means and needs.
By the way, I never have considered you to not be deep. I would say guarded, which is not a bad thing. I love all the blogs you do. (:

Meg said...

You know a heck of alot more than alot of other people in America...or maybe others just don't care! Anyway, Shea is a Branch Manger for JPMOrgan Chase so I get to hear this stuff allllllllllll the time. I have learned ALOT. He did point out to me the other day that Jamie Dimon (CEO/President of Chase)was featured in Fortune magazine because of how well Chase has 'weathered the storm'. The man is so freakin' smart it is crazy. Read up on him...if you are interested in learning more about all this. Chase is doing very very well, even with all that is going on. Says something for the CEO, in my opinion. Okay, now I sound like a sales person for Chase. lol