Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Less-Than-Traditional Aggie Football Game

Is there such a thing, you ask? I wouldn't have agreed until this past Saturday when the Beeler family hit the road to College Station for the A&M vs. Miami game. And for the record, I am here to testify that this game was, yes, less than traditional....for many reasons.





First of all, let me back up and say that we took Kellie-Laine and Landrie with us to the game, which was a first for our family. Usually, I send Cody and Kellie-Laine to cheer on the Aggies, which means standing up for four hours straight. No, thanks. I'll stay at home with the little offspring and sit on the couch while they play at my feet.





This year, though, I decided that Emerie was the golden child who could actually be given to a babysitter for longer than two hours without that particular sitter feigning some sort of strange illness to get out of the job. She's easy and fun, and she has a cute little dimpled smile which will just melt your heart no matter how rotten she's acting.





The game went much like I had anticipated: I got carsick; Landrie asked to go home after the first ten minutes; the girls went into sugar shock from the snacks we bribed them with; Landrie attempted to spread out her coloring books on the jam-packed stadium seats; Landrie got frustrated when the sixty people on either side of us wouldn't "schooch down" to make room for the coloring book; Kellie-Laine was completely mortified any time I participated in the Aggie yells; Cody was distracted and was pretty useless as a parent; and I experienced extreme fatigue and muscle soreness from climbing 22 ramps to get to our seats in the Zone. What a way to spend $300 bucks, right?





Okay, so back to the less-than-traditional Aggie game. I made several observations while people-watching from my seat (which was waaaaay more interesting than the football game). You need to know that I graduated from A&M in 1997....when things were a bit more traditional (although I'm sure the guy who graduated in 1979 is laughing at that last sentence!). Anyway, the main observation is that the collegiate attire has changed drastically. Back in the day, a cool maroon t-shirt was all you really needed. These days.....that same maroon t-shirt has been fashioned into a skin-tight halter top; complete with Coach handbag and Chanel sunglasses. Also, there were many gals who wore t-shirt morphed-halter-dresses with an Aggie emblem on the chest or buttocks and trimmed with lace or ribbon. (I must admit I thought these were so precious! But not on the two year old). Other surface observations occurred to me as well, like the fact that apparently Daisy Duke shorts have made a comeback. And, the youth of today have gotten so much more beautiful....guys and gals.





But the real diversion from the stereo-typical A&M home game occurred during the half-time show. As a prelude to the Aggie Band (which personifies Aggie Tradition), there was a guest performance by the Prairie View A&M Show Band.



Folks, they aren't called a "Show Band" for nothin'.




Words cannot even describe what took place on that field, but here are a few snippets:


--The Announcer would say things like: "Sit back while we do our thang..." or "Watch us bring it to you" and finally, "Go with us while we swim in the ocean" (this is what he said as the band fell on to their backs and simulated some kind of pelvic gyrating).


-- The dance team sat hunkered in a corner covered in a dark, velvet cape......UNTIL......the announcer introduced us to the "Black Foxes."


--Upon hearing their esteeming introduction, the Black Foxes threw off their capes and stood in all their majesty and glory in nothing more than an outfit specifically made for adult entertainment.


--Upon throwing off their capes, Landrie became hypnotized by their beauty and said: "I wish I could have a dress like that!" (remember her love of inappropriate clothing? This should tell you a little something about their attire.......)


-- The Black Foxes are, apparently, double jointed in places most of us aren't.....and proudly displayed it.


--I had to cover Landrie's eyes during various parts of the "performance."


-- It was the only part of the game Landrie enjoyed.


--Even Kellie-Laine was giving me the "raised eyebrows" look.


--I told Cody we needed to go to church. IMMEDIATELY.


Let me defend all of this commentary by saying that if I didn't have my girls with me.....I WOULD HAVE TOTALLY LOVED THIS SHOW.


It really rocked. But not in a "I'd love for my girls to be involved in this one day" kind of way, you know?


Gig 'em.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

OH my gosh - my blog had nothing to do with waco or my experience there.i had and have some great friends there. you would be the last person i would accuse of being fake or unreal. you are a "what you see is what you get," and i have always appreciated that about you.In fact, every time I read your blogs I tell Rick I wish I had spent some more time with you in Waco. I love love me some HBC!! Now, Waco in general can be different, but I always seem to find the real people. I really had just found out some people from ABC were reading my blogs, and I did not want them to think I hated being here.

Unknown said...

Ok, so I got paranoid that the blog would hurt other people's feelings. I deleted it. I feel bad. Make sure everyone knows I love HBC and enjoyed our Waco time. (:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a fun time!!! : ) Seeing the pictures of you guys at the game makes me what to go to one!! Wish the Ags didn't stink so bad this year.

KarenFarner said...

I haven't been to College Station in about 7 years!! I'm such a bad Ag! Maybe A&M and Nebraska will play down there in the next couple of years. There is no telling what Scarlett will be wearing... maroon, red, white, etc.

Having It All said...

How fun that you got to do some yells! I hope we'll get ourselves to a game one day soon. But not this season - no fun with two preschoolers. You are a true Ag for taking your crew!