Friday, January 18, 2008

Might As Well Face It, I'm Addicted to BLOGS

I have a blog addiction. It's real. It's consuming. And it's sucking away all my SuperMom powers. It's not the blog writing I'm addicted to. I'm addicted to reading them!

Those of you who read this blog are, obviously, familiar with the crazy popularity that surrounds blogging. Blog-reading is that perfect combination of reality TV + eavesdropping + snooping + non-fiction reading + local gossip column + voyeurism. It is highly entertaining, comforting and creepy--all at the same time. I read several blogs consistently (notice the list to the right). But oftentimes I happen upon bloggers who I don't know, yet I'm completely engrossed in their stories. It's weird. And I'm wondering: are there people reading my blog who don't know me? Should I think that's weird, too? I don't; I kinda think it's cool.

(If you're ever interested in finding new blogs to read, try doing a Goodle search for "Weblog Awards." You'll find nominees and winners for the year's best blogs in all sorts of categories like: parenting, humor, news, fashion, politics, etc. I have found some real doozies that make me laugh so hard I become incontinent...or is it incoherent?... inconsolable? It's probably all three....quick! Get me a diaper, a box of kleenex and some smelling salts! It's that funny.

One blog that I've consistently kept up with is Pioneer Woman. I don't know her, but I love her stories and apparently so does the rest of America. She started out as a piddly ol' blogger like me, emailed her site to a few friends, and in a year's time....she became a blog celebrity! She now is a guest columnist for JC Penny's and the Food Network, and her readership is in the tens of thousands!

Even here in Waco, TX the blogging business is booming. Photographers, news journalists, churches, even florists have extended their marketing efforts to include blogging. And it's working! I discovered a photographer just last night whose blog was linked to another blog, and I'm thrilled to have found her and will probably use her one day (http://www.kathrynkrueger.blogspot.com/). That's what I call word-of-blog advertising!

Reading other blogs has made me aware of the writing talent out there, and there are so many fabulous, inspiring, funny bloggers! I have tried to take my own blogging up a notch or two to make things stimulating, entertaining, and above all real. Looking back at the genesis of my blog, I realized that the first half of my entries were simply updates...Kellie-Laine's doing this, Landrie's doing that, Emerie is great, Cody is lovely, I am fine....blah, blah, blah. Pretty boring, huh? So here in the past few posts, I've really tried to let you in on my family life...the reality of it; the ugliness of it; the humorous side of it. I hope you've noticed, and I hope you'll stay to read more. I thank you for taking the time to read about our family, and ESPECIALLY to the handful of you who leave me a comment. It absolutely brightens my day. To all of you lurkers: feel free to come out of the closet if you will. I'd love to know who I'm writing for!

SuperMom's gotta fly now....the kids are napping and I've got some blog catching-up to do!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am Adrielle's sister in law and thought that I would take this opportunity to make your day...I enjoy reading your blog. I am totally addicted to blogging as well. I sometimes forget that I do not know a lot of the people that I am reading about. They seems to become friends in a=some twisted way. Glad to know that I am not alone- ha.

gwsas4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You know I read you all the time :-) Madge and Lulu love to look at the pics of your girls, and Madge thinks it's so cool that I tell her I knew Landrie's mommy when we were little like her! I have all of these neat insights and ideas about what I should write during the night (especially lately, I'm nightweaning and it sucks), but by the time I sit down at the computer, I'm lucky to have enough time to give a quick update on the girls and resize and upload pictures. Which, to behonest, is all my family cares about anyway, lol!!

Dona said...

Im not reading!