Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pre-Teen Words of Wisdom....Unplugged






















THANK YOU to those of you who posted questions for our guest columnist today. The questions were thoughtful, poignant and a little difficult, and I certainly know why you asked what you asked. Whew, raising kids these days is so tough! It helps to get a different perspective....I hope this helps!

***************************************



I tried my best to give Kellie-Laine the reigns and not interfere one tiny bit. For the most part, I did just that. There were, however, a few instances where I needed to help her complete a compound or complex thought or perhaps encourage her to be more thoughtful about her answer. (True to the pre-teen mindset, "I don't know" was her answer of choice, and I knew that wasn't what you wanted to hear!) Overall, this was her interview so I let her control what she wanted to say. So without further adieu.....here she is.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: PLEASE WELCOME MY 12-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER, KELLIE-LAINE!


1. How has your mom or dad talked with you about drugs and alcohol?


Well, they told me they're bad! I really want to follow what they told me like if I do drugs and alcohol that there WILL be consequences! She also points out people that are smoking or drinking and tells me that I will look like that if I drink or do drugs. She tells me about news stories about people that have been killed by drugs and that makes me think of how I don't want to end up like that.


2. Do you really listen when they teach you something?
Well it depends on what their talking about! I get annoyed when they tell me about boyfriend/girlfriend stuff. And let me tell you, Cody gives the worst advice!!!! He says when someone asks me if I like a boy as a boyfriend, he tells me to say, " Yes I like him, as a friend." I will never say that in my entire life!!!! So I try to listen to my mom as much as possible. She does pretty well.


**Hello, Angela here. I had to interject on this one. Cody and I have both told Kellie-Laine this is the best response when her friends ask or assume that she likes someone. Kellie-Laine thinks the response sounds dorky and is "too embarrassing" to say! Kellie-Laine loves to pick on Cody!!

3. What is a good way to talk to my daughter about her changing body?


I personally would rather read books about it because I feel awkward about that kind of stuff!!!!! But I would say to just read the book you choose with her because if she has any questions you'll be there to answer them!!!


4. What's your favorite memory about being little?


my favorite memory of being little was being an ONLY CHILD!!!! I loved that because I got all the attention and I spent more time with my parents. I got peace and quiet and I didn't have to babysit!! I love my sisters though, without them I would be sooo bored! I love playing with Landrie and holding Emerie!!!I feel blessed to have such a great family!!!


5. What's the one thing you wish your parents would let you do that they say you're too young for?

I wish I could have a CELLPHONE!!!!! I want one to call my friends whenever I want!!! (and not have to pay for it!) That would be awesome!



6. If you could have the best day ever, what would you do?

I know this sounds babyish but I would go to Chuck E. Cheeses!!! And by 1 million tokens! I would also go to Dallas in a limo with my friends and stay the weekend and go SHOPPING!!!!


7. What do girls want to hear most from their moms?

Well I like it when my mom comforts me after a long day. I love hearing stories of when she had the same problems that I have and tells me what I should do!!!


8. What should "us mommies" be saying instead of "that's cool!"?

Well, I don't know just say something other than that! Just kidding! You can say whatever you want I just have never heard my mom say that so I don't want her to!!!!!!


9. What is one thing your mom has done that you're grateful for?

I'm really grateful for everything she has done. I'm thankful for one thing, but its not so much what she has done its what God has given her, I'm thankful for her wisdom!!! I love it when she tells me things that the Bible says when I'm in trouble or just need help.

**Angela here again. Can I tell you that my mouth was hanging open when I read this??! Normally when I talk to her about a situation, she rolls her eyes and pouts. All this time I was thinking her body language meant she wasn't listening and didn't like what I had to say!! Who knew it actually meant she was grateful for my wisdom!! I am so glad we had this little discussion.

10. What is one thing your dad has done that you're grateful for?

Cody has helped me and done things for me for me many times. He will listen to what I need or want and I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten something at home and he has to bring it to school!!!! I am sooo grateful and blessed to have a dad like him!!!


11. Do you and your sister/s fight alot?

Mom answering for Kellie-Laine: YES!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I don't know you, but I commented a while back on a Christmas post. I am Adrielle's sister-in-law.

I love this idea! Great insight!!! Hope you don't mind... I am going to steal it if my daughter will agree to be my guest blogger.

Dona said...

Kellie-Laine
Thanks so much for responding to all the questions. You have enlightened me. I really would have thought the total opposite of some of the responses you had. Saying "cool" does embarrass Ashley - I HAD NO IDEA! Now I know to just give Ashley the opportunity to read about things for herself and ask questions when needed. Your knowledge has given me a different perspective.

Angela and Cody
CONGRATULATIONS, It sounds like y'all have done a wonderful job of guiding a beautiful pre-teen through life this far. I can only hope I do as well with my kids.

Dona