Monday, June 2, 2008

Hello, From Watercolor Beach, Florida!




I've finally figured out why people work so darn hard to retire early. Watercolor, Florida is the reason.
We arrived here on Sunday after a very early, 6:20 am, flight from Waco. After spending a full day here, I've decided that I'm not returning to Waco. Don't miss me too much...
Seriously though, Watercolor is everything that Norman Rockwell, June Cleaver, and Shirley Temple encompass. It's sappy sweet, picturesque, and reminiscent of your favorite childhood memory--all wrapped together. Here are just a few things I've noticed about Watercolor so far:
1. The main mode of transportation is bicycle. We've enjoyed strapping Emerie in a baby seat and Grace and Landrie in the toddler trailer and riding to the beach each day--it makes us all feel like kids again! In fact, people who drive their cars around here are sissies.
2. While Watercolor is a 500 acre resort-community....it doesn't feel busy. Most of the homes are rented, but it's not crowded at all. No waits at restaurants, no food shortages at the grocery store, no scrambling to find a spot at the beach.
3. The pace here is sloooooooow. I love it. The only time we rushed around was tonight as we tried to attend a Steve Irwin-like show. Unfortunately, it was not worth the rush.
4. The beach is sandy white; the water is the perfect shade of blue.
5. Sand can get into crevices that I didn't know existed.
6. Outdoor showers and screened porches are NOT overrated. My next home will have both. And with the mosquito and fly population in Waco, Texas, I'm surprised more people don' t have them.
7. The architecture here is beautiful. Each home looks like a Southern Living beach house, and the one we're staying in costs around $2.5 million dollars. I'd like to ask the owner what he does for a living. Then I'll ask Cody to make a job change.....
8. This is a very family-oriented place to stay. Everyone here is so friendly with nice warm smiles. Except for when we decided to bathe our kids on the front porch outdoor shower. Then they looked at us like Texas white trash.
9. This is a really safe place to stay. I don't think we've locked our doors since we've arrived.
10. 22 month-olds and planes do not mix. Thank God I have four more days until I have to do that again!!
I'll try to post more photos of the cool beach houses soon.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I seriously want to go to this place. I have been in love with it ever since you first posted a picture of the house you would be staying in. Now that I have heard your first hand experience with this place I think that we will have to plan a vacation there in the near future.

Rose said...

Oh my gosh, you guys are adorable! And I love that bathing suit, you will have to let me know where you got it. Especially since the one I am sporting, the only one that fits, I was wearing the day I met my husband. You know, back in 2000. And we swim at least twice a week, so it's a little gross. And a little too small.

I'm so glad you had fun! It looks beautiful! And that house sounds dreamy!

Kesleigh Castle said...

So glad y'all are having fun. It looks gorgeous! And your family looks gorgeous too! I'm with Rose.. LOVE the swimsuit.. Looks like you just walked out of high school, Flo too!

Tressa said...

BEAUTIFUL WATER!!! And a BEAUTIFUL family! You guys are blessed!

Dona said...

I wish I were there. That's all I can say! It looks beautiful and I am jealous. Have fun. See you when you are back.

Nicki W. said...

Love. your. suit.
where did you find??

aWare said...

Love the pics and the suit too! I want one....where did you find it?

SuperMom said...

Hey, gals. Several of you have asked about my swimsuit. I actually order it online (I know, scary!). But Spiegel/Newport News have great suits that are perfect for "mommies"--not too skimpy, but still very sexy.

I have several styles, all which are skirted or what they call a "swimdress" and I love them. I get a ton of compliments each time I wear them, and many "where did you get it" type questions.

Let me know if you have any further questions and thanks for the compliments!

autumnesf said...

How I miss the panhandle!! Miss the sugar white beaches and emerald waters. We still head out that way for beach vacations! Enjoy the rest of your time!