Monday, June 9, 2008

Water From The Moon

Does anyone remember the sappy Celine Dion tune from the 90's, "Water From The Moon" where she desperately pleads with her lover for ways to win back his love? The song goes something like: "Do I have to bring you water from the moon; is that what I've got to do....to make you love me"? Oh, Celine. No man is worth that kind of groveling.....it sounds pretty impossible that you'll find his love again by holding a Solo cup of dirty water freshly milked from the crater of the moon. Really. Just move on.


Okay, so desperate women wanting love is not what exactly what this post is about, but I am a desperate mom who yearns for something. I want to be able to photograph my tiniest tot, Emerie. While gathering water from the moon is a near impossible task, I have discovered that taking a good photo of Emerie is just as elusive.

In my family, being comfortable on camera is somewhat of a genetic predisposition. My sister and I both grew up in front of the camera, and my scrapbooking hobby allowed my children the same fortune (or misfortune, depending on your perspective!). In fact, by 18 months of age, Landrie was very well accustomed to posing for the camera.


My photo karma has been turned upside down, though, by my little Emerie. I cannot get a good photo of her no matter how hard I try! And she's such a camera tease. She will look at the camera. She will find the nearest tree and run to sit and pose in front of it. She will be somewhat motionless while I take the shot. She will even say "cheese." But.........she.....will.....not.....smile.


Instead, she makes face contortions.


Let me give you a few visual aids to help make my point.
Here is Kellie-Laine at my recent "Watercolor Front Porch Photo Shoot." She can hold this pose for days. Even weeks, possibly. Every now and then I'll get a shot of her with a snarling lip or vampire teeth, but 98% of the time I get a great shot. (And thank goodness for photshop!!)




Then there's Landrie. She grumbles and whines quite a bit before the shot, but once the camera points her direction she's all smiles and sparkly eyeballs. My main problem with Landrie is that she gives me too much.....too much of a head tilt, too much of a smile, too much of a serious look which makes her look angry instead of pensive, you get the point. She overdoes it. But again, I can regularly count on her to give me a shot worth turning into a Christmas ornament or a hand-hooked afghan from HEB.




And the piece de resistance: Emerie--first attempt:




Okay, so this is cute, but not really the look and feel I was hoping for.


Second attempt:



More of the same....I told her to give me "pouty lips" and this was her interpretation. I should have known better.


Third attempt:


This time I got smart and said, "Emerie, give me a big cheesy grin" thinking that wouldn't cause the confusion "pouty and sultry" command did. Unfortunately, she's inherited Landrie's propensity to over-do things a bit. And would it kill her to look at the camera? Once? Just once?
Final Attempt:

And so this concludes today's photo shoot at Watercolor. Does this photo scream, "Frame me, baby!" or what?! (I should also mention that in between these shots Emerie was no less active than a rabbit just placed in a flour sack.)


In all seriousness, I am chuckling my way through this post. This is my little fireball. And so someday soon I will frame these photos for display in my home and hope that Emerie doesn't kill me when she's older. It marks this season in our lives. (But you can all together forget about me getting a group shot of all three girls! I'd rather have my mouth wired shut.)
Much like getting water from the moon, once you have it--it's a priceless treasure. I have the pictures to prove it.

10 comments:

autumnesf said...

A HUGE zoom lens could be your best friend! The kind where you can be sitting halfway across the park and she has NO CLUE you've got her in camera sight. All my best pictures are these kinds...full smiles and all...because they didn't even know the pictures were being taken. And with the zoom you can be so far away and still do the extreme close-ups. Good luck with the posing...never has worked for me. Smiles!

Kesleigh Castle said...

Dying laughing about the Hand hooked afghan.. SO FUNNY!

Rose said...

Um, that is hysterical. The last shot is my fave.

Emily said...

Your daughters are BEAUTIFUL! I feel your pain with trying to get a good shot, Claire REFUSES to make eye contact with the camera. I have to say that the picks of Emerie are super cute!

Jennifer said...

Ang you really should go in bussiness. You are very talented with the camera. I need to bring my kids to Waco for you to photograph.

Having It All said...

Love those pics! What dolls. My girls are the same way. I really don't have any great ones with them together for the same reason - I can't them to both look at the camera at the same time!

Anonymous said...

So hilarious. She is a turkey, and a cute one at that! I LOVE that last shot, and it made me laugh.
jen ross

A Konzelman said...

Grace will stare right into the camera lense right up until the flash goes off and she looks away! Only every now and then will she loot at me. Hope Emerie is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY feel your pain. Rachel is the only one who will look at the camera and smile at the same time and even that is usually only after a big argument (and many threats) about having to take pictures in the first place. The boys refuse and I end up very frustrated. Your pictures came out adorable, as usual. And you're right, it's all about the season. You'll look back and laugh when you remember Emerie's little personality at this age. Can't wait to see more pics from your trip.
Thanks,
H

Tressa said...

CUTE CUTE beautiful pics!! Do you such a great job at photography!!