Thursday, June 12, 2008

Not If, But When



I find it a tad bit ironic that I was just about to publish a post about reaching my "100th Blog Entry" when, yep, you guessed it. My computer died. Let me re-state that: my less-than-a-year-old-anniversary-gift-HP-Pavilion-$800 dollar-laptop-that-I-live-and-breathe-by died. No rhyme nor reason why. It is just dead and will have to be sent back to the factory for hard drive replacement.
I could cry about this, but we have a home computer that will do just fine until my laptop comes back. It's not as convenient or as fast as my laptop, but it will do.
I write this post for one main reason; heed this warning: the question is not if your computer will crash, but when. So many websites and articles have taunted this warning over and over again, and I will now personally endorse this advice. If my laptop (remember it was less than a year old) can crash.....yours can, too. The techie-guru at HP didn't have a reason for this failure. "It just happens sometimes" is what he said.
Now the good news is that I didn't loose too much. All of my photos and digital scrapbook stuff is saved in two locations not related to my actual laptop: my external hard drive and my portable external hard drive. If you do not own either of these two items, run....run....run and get at least one of them. I have over three years worth of photos on my EHD (external hard drive) --all of which would have been lost if I had saved it directly to my computer.
As a protective back up, I also burn each month's photos onto disc and store it in a three ring binder complete with printed photo index sheets. Yes, it's anal.....but so worth it. Especially in the midst of my laptop death.
And now please observe with me a moment of silence for my lost beloved....
Laptop Dies Quietly in Home
Waco, TX--
Memorial services for Angela's laptop will be held daily between 2pm and 4 pm until replacement returns.
Laptop is survived by frustrated dad, Cody, mother who is now addicted to narcotics, Angela, three siblings who remember fondly banging on the laptop's keys in a futile attempt to revive it, and a desktop computer who never liked the laptop anyway. All reside in Waco, Texas.
In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to be made to the "Angela's Future Purchase of a Mac Computer" fund.

4 comments:

autumnesf said...

What? No photo of the dearly departed?

I feel your pain.

nicolepage said...

I'm so sorry about your laptop, but you will love having a mac! :)

Anonymous said...

HP computers tend to do this...as I was shopping for a new one my computer guy and husband continued to warn me away from HP's even though they were so pretty! Now I have a Toshiba and am loving it.

Five Musgraves at Ten Oaks said...

Believe it or not, we have had TWO laptops die this year! One a few years older than the other, but believe me, I was so thankful that they could take out the hardrive and put it into a pretty case :) And I debated for months over whether or not to go Mac, but one of my old college roomies who is a CPA and uses hers lots, clinched it with this statement: once you go Mac, you never go back! (Usually, that is.) So I got a MacBook in March, and LOVE it! Mine is white, and my 18 yr. old just got a black one for $100 more, I think. We are still learning, but there are so many cool, cool features with Macs. And if you want another topic, try cell phones :)